Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Where were YOU?


I was in gradeschool on November 22, 1963 when a tragic historic event occurred on this spot in Dallas.

It was when I was walking home from school that day that my next door neighbor told me that President Kennedy had been assassinated. President Kennedy was the first president I was aware of as a kid.

Last November, we watched a couple specials on the 50th anniversary of the assassination President Kennedy and with that fresh in memory, Brion suggested we go downtown to the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza which houses the spot from which Lee Harvey Oswald is said to have shot the president. It's now the Dallas County Administration Building, but back then it was the Texas School Book Depository.

Here's a picture of the 7-story building taken from the spot in the road where President Kennedy was shot (yes, I took this picture from the middle of the road).

The museum was okay, but didn't include anything I hadn't seen in a documentary or read online or in books. It also wasn't very well laid out, with small groups of people crowding in small areas of the museum. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the museum.

Still, it was good to see where things were located after having read about them. Here I am, sitting in the grassy knoll.

When I was in school, all the way through college, I really hated reading about history. That's changed over the years. So, this was a cool outing on a warm Texas day.

9 comments:

  1. I was in college, between classes. I think the announcement came over the loud speaker. Everyone was crying, it was awful. I've always hated history, too, and still do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in high school math class and they made an announcement over the intercom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Catholic school and remember being more upset seeing the nuns cry than the assassination. I guess I really didn't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Junior in high school history class. Announcement was via a phone call to the teacher. One of the few times I saw one of those room phones used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in high school junior geography class! When a message was sent to the classes, I immediately though t" Oh, THAT can't be true"! How naive I was!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in college. Out in the woods shooting a shotgun with a friend. We heard the news on the car radio heading back to our apartment. Sort of like 9/11. Most people will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was at work on one of my first fulltime jobs. It shocked everybody. I know what you mean about history. I hated it until I got to college. Now I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I had a great time reading your website. Do you have an email address that I can contact you on? Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

    Regards,

    Joel
    JHouston791 gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog, Joel. I've added my contact info on my profile.

      Delete