Thursday, April 24, 2014

LBJ Presidential Library and Austin Capitol


We drove on to Austin and visited the LBJ Presidential library. On one of the walls inside, there were these sculptured pictures. They're about 10 feet in height, I would guess.

Here's a closeup of LBJ. Click on the picture to enlarge it and see more detail.

There was an animatron of LBJ speaking, using recordings of his voice.

The exhibit on the war in Vietnam was extensive.

There was a special exhibit about influential people in the 1960's. Though I spent a good bit of time in that exhibit, I didn't take any pictures. Sometimes I just forget I even have a camera, I guess. You can read about the exhibit here.

Throughout the museum are phones that you can pick up and hear recorded conversations that LBJ had. These were pretty unique.


Yes, this is a recreation of the Oval Office as it looked during the LBJ administration.

While in Austin, we also visited the state Capitol. This is a beautiful building, inside and out.

It was pretty crowded when we were there, so I didn't get pictures in the rotunda. We went on a tour and though we didn't see the House of Representatives Chamber, we did get to see the Senate Chamber.

I've only ever visited 2 state Capitols and after this one, I think I'll visit more in the future.

2 comments:

  1. That is the most unusual Senate room I've ever seen. It's lovely but so old fashioned. Where are the cushy chairs and computers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked LBJ--I would definitely visit here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete