Sunday, April 27, 2014

George W. Bush Presidential Library


While in Dallas, Brion and I went to the third presidential library and museum in Texas. It's on the lovely campus of Southern Methodist University (SMU).

The gifts from various countries to the American people were nicely displayed.


There's the usual biography information.

The exhibit about the tragedy we call 9/11 was especially well done. The girder in the middle of the exhibit is from one of the twin towers. On the wall surrounding it, the names of those who died that day as a result of the terrorist actions are carved into the wall.

A special, temporary exhibit of 30 of the former president's paintings was what I enjoyed most. A short film preceded it where George and Laura Bush talked about the paintings and some the people depicted in them.

Some of the portraits were surrounded by photographs of the person depicted as well as some artifacts related to that person. This is a portrait of Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President of Liberia, the first elected female head of state in Africa and a Nobel Peace Prize winner.


That's it for Presidential Libraries for a while.

5 comments:

  1. It's funny that he seems to specialize in portraits. I would think that would be the hardest to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently learned he was doing portraits and it surprised me, too. I wonder if he does other paintings - I agree that portraits would be really hard. Thanks for the tour - I like President Bush and enjoyed your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really enjoying your Presidential Libraries tour.

    ReplyDelete