Monday, September 9, 2013

El Malpais and Bluewater Lake


El Malpais is an interesting place. The brochure says, "Where Sharp Lava Meets Smooth Sandstone." You can see it here from Sandstone Bluffs Overlook. The black patches in the middle of the picture are lava.

The BLM campground is small with only 10 sites, most of which are not level, and there are no hookups, but it's a pretty place and free. I drove with some of my neighbors to La Ventana Natural Arch. It's a lovely drive though the park.

Bluewater Lake State Park is one of many New Mexico parks with RV campsites. At this time of year, there aren't many campers and it's extremely quiet. I got a great site, as you can see here.

And here's a view from the roof, where I enjoyed sitting for a while this afternoon until a brief rain drove me indoors.

I'll post more from Bluewater later this week. Just wanted to post a quick update for now so you'll know I'm on the move again.

4 comments: