Thursday, July 11, 2013

Old Sturbridge Village


Old Sturbridge Village is an 1830s New England Living History Museum in Sturbridge, MA. I went there when I was a kid and remembered that I enjoyed it, so went back when I left CT.

I like that the people there are in the dress of the 1830s and can tell us how things were back then, like in the general store.

And in one of the houses where a quilt was being made.

There was a demonstration of a black powder gun being loaded and shot. That was LOUD!

A tinsmith made pieces that were used throughout the museum houses and were sold in the store there.

A printer showed us how books were printed.

You could even go for a ride in a stagecoach.

This is just a small sample of what you can see and do at Sturbridge. It's a place you can spend many hours if you enjoy living history museums.

On the way to Sturbridge, we stopped at the Mark Twain House and Museum in Hartford, CT.


Sam Clemens lived here with his family for 17 years. It's where he wrote some of his most famous books, like "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn". They don't allow pictures to be taken inside the house or museum. The film they had there was the best part of the place, though it was all pretty interesting.

Now that I'm traveling after spending time in CT with family, I plan to post more frequently for a while, so stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Old Sturbridge Village looks like a really fun place to spend an afternoon. To actually see people living that life, showing how things were done is very cool.

    The Mark Twain house is beautiful! Thanks for the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd visit Sturbridge again if given the chance. Especially after seeing the pictures. I want to see the Mark Twain house, too. I just saw a special about Sam Clemens on the history channel, and they had a lot to say about that house, what it meant to him and his family, etc. I'd go to Mystic Seaport again, too. They recently restored the Charles Morgan whaling ship...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoy old museums where they dress of the period. It reminded me a lot of Williamsburg, VA. I am enjoying your travels.

    ReplyDelete