Saturday, June 8, 2013

Downtown New Haven


I never fully appreciated the lovely architecture of this town while I was growing up. My niece and I walked around in downtown New Haven earlier this week. Here are a few random shots.

This is part of a Civil War monument in the foreground and a church, built in the 1850's in the background.


I love libraries and Yale University has one of the largest libraries in the country. This is the front of the Sterling Memorial library, completed in 1931.


Just inside the doors here is the Nave.


The stained glass windows and sculptures are magnificent. You can click on the pictures to see more detail.


A couple other random shots taken downtown and around Yale University.



When I was here more than 20 years ago, there were areas of town very near here that were less than desirable. In fact, someone told me it was called "The War Zone". It's been cleaned up a lot since then, which I was glad to see.

Lots of rain here lately, but now that the sun is out, I need to get off the computer and go outside.

Family pictures coming soon (after I take some, that is).

4 comments:

  1. Are you Kidding? THAT's a library? It looks like a church. I don't think I've been to New Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes going back to a place makes you appreciate it that much more.

    ReplyDelete