Saturday, April 27, 2013

Another weekend at Scarborough

I've been to at least a half dozen Renaissance festivals. Today, I finally took some pictures that are worth posting. For those who have never been to such a festival, here's what's in store for you when you finally do get to attend one.

There's the Royal Procession with the king and queen. It's a parade. Here's the king and queen.

There are lots of stages with various types of entertainment. Here are a couple of singers.

And here are some dancers. The guys on either side of the belly dancer were from the audience. There's a lot of audience participation at these festivals. There are also jugglers, comedy acts and so forth. Lots to choose from.

You can get a tattoo or a massage or have your fortune told. Here's a fortune teller at work.

If you like to shop, there are so many options. Clothing stores are plentiful. Many offer renaissance type outfits and many of the patrons dress up for the fair. Most of the clothing shops are specialized. Here's one for aspiring belly dancers.

Lots of crafts are sold here. I liked the stained glass.

And the pewter chessboards.

There are essential oils, incense, candles and other great smelling stuff. I like soap. In fact, I used to make my own soap a few years back, so I like checking out the wares in these shops.

I also like bacon. I actually like bacon a lot. But bacon-scented soap?? Who wants to smell like bacon when they step out of the shower?

There were some pretty nice walking sticks and they seemed reasonably priced for the workmanship, but too heavy for hiking, unfortunately.

I'm not a big shopper, but I do like buying one thing in particular at such festivals: Food!

And turkey legs are available at every renaissance festival I've been to. Sometimes they're good and sometimes they're just okay. These were juicy and not overcooked. Personally, I liked the overcooked, dried out ones with more of a smokey flavor, but that's just me.

There's enough to see and do at the renaissance festival to last a few days and fill several pages on any blog. These pictures are more than I usually post, but just a small sample of what there is to see. If you've never been, you should check one out some time.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoy Renaissance Festivals. One of these times I want to go in costume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the one here years ago with a friend who shared her philosophy of 'eat early and often.' What a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, The Renaissance Festival post brought back memories. When Chuck and I were leathercraftsmen, we sent our kids to the one in Tuxedo, NY,to work a booth for us there as a summer job. Our daughter loved it, but the boys didn't like the costumes. We had to build a shop, no tent type displays were allowed. Decorated it with hides and set our merchandise on slab wood shelves. Those were the days. Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just starting to get caught up with all my blogs since losing Google Reader. I have never been to a Renaissance Festival, but it sure looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete