Wednesday, March 13, 2013

My Favorite Museum

While Brion was here, since I've raved about the Musical Instrument Museum, he was interested in going there. He loved it. I went last year and you can see my blog post about it here.

Since I've already blogged about the museum in general, I thought I'd post pictures of a few of the unique things (of many) that I saw. I have so many pictures, that I had a hard time picking which ones to post, but here you go.

In the guitar gallery, there are many notable and unique guitars. Here's one from Portugal, c. 1590. The label on it says, "Instruments resembling the modern guitar first appeared in the late 1400's. Of the early guitars still in existence, this is considered the oldest full-sized example."


A glass cavalry trumpet and a porcelain violin.

This is a bat khine (gong chime) from Thailand.

A drum with rattlesnake tails which make it sound like a snare drum.

The first Steinway.

Not only did I learn about all kinds of different musical instruments, I learned a bit of geography. There are displays with instruments from most countries in the world. Some were countries I'd never heard of before, like these. I like that there are maps on the displays to show where these countries are.




This is such an amazing museum. And it's huge! Though I've been twice already, there's so much more that I want to see, so I'll be going back later this month when Debbie comes out for a visit.

If you're anywhere near Phoenix, don't miss this.

3 comments:

  1. They say that this is the "best museum you will ever hear" because you have headphones that play what pertains to the display you are looking at whether it be Benny Goodman or Elvis or an unknown thumb piano musician in Africa. It's also the best museum I have ever seen. I just don't think it is possible to build it up so much that anyone would be disappointed. In fact, I have it built up so much in my mind now that I can't imagine being as impressed again but I also know that I probably missed 50% of the exhibits so there is that much more to see. It's a must see if you go through Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! CAN'T WAIT! Loved ALL the pictures. Thanks for sharing ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the porcelain violin. I'm not really into instruments, but maybe we'll need to go.

    ReplyDelete