Sunday, March 10, 2013

In Scottsdale

Brion drove out this week and we've been doing some touristy stuff. Nearby is the McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park. Besides being a great place to take kids, there are a few things to see for us big kids. There's a model railroad building where several model railroads are in the process of being built/modified.


I like this locomotive crashing through the wall (click on picture to enlarge it).


There's a small museum which includes a Pullman car built in 1928 and used by Presidents Hoover, Roosevelt and Eisenhower. Reminds me of a big RV.


Here's a picture of the floorplan and some info on capacity, etc.

Here's one of the private rooms.

A bedroom.

The dining room.

The parlor (called the Observation room).

I wouldn't mind travelling in one of these Pullman cars myself.

We also went to Taliesin West, the winter home of Frank Lloyd Wright.


We took the 90-minute Insights tour. I thought it was interesting how these pieces he obtained in San Francisco's China Town were incorporated into the walls of the buildings.


I also enjoyed the sculpture garden.




This is a great place if you're interested in architecture or Frank Lloyd Wright.


2 comments:

  1. Love the locomotive pic and sculptures. Familiar with the biography of Frank Lloyd Wright. I found it (him) interesting. Rail was the way to go "back then". For me, today, not so much. But if I could travel in a Presidential car, that would be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know about the railroad museum - looks interesting. Haven't been to the FLW house.

    ReplyDelete