Friday, June 8, 2012

My favorite national park campground


An Improptu Lazy Daze gathering!

While at Capitol Reef campground, we got to spend time with Don and Dorothy who we just met for the first time, tho we got to know one another through a Lazy Daze forum. We also got to spend a short amount of time with Martha and Bernie, who I met a couple years ago in Las Cruces and then again in Santa Fe. This made my favorite national park campground even MORE enjoyable!! Looking forward to seeing all of you down the road again soon!

(L to R: Don, Dorothy, Brion, me, Bernie, Martha)

The campground at Capitol Reef is by an orchard where you can pick fruit when it's ripe. Cherries wouldn't be ready for a few days after we left, unfortunately. Peaches, apricots, apples and pears are later in the year.

Here's a picture of the campground from a hike we took. It's down there under all those trees.

The trailhead from the campground takes you on a few miles of beautiful hiking.



Just outside Capitol Reef, in Torrey, UT, is a restaurant for which we got 3 recommendations called Cafe Diablo. The presentation and flavors of the food were first-rate. We actually ate there for lunch one day and for dinner another (different menus for lunch and dinner - we had to try both). I don't usually take pictures of food, but these dishes were just beautiful.

The mushroom spinach salad was almost too pretty to eat.

I just HAD to try the rattlesnake cakes.

Brion got the Turkey Chimole.

Stay tuned for more adventures as I catch up on my blogging.


6 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...rattlesnake cakes? Not sure I'm that brave lol. Love the looks of that campground. We are planning a Utah adventure next year and just received several brochures in the mail. I love the planning stage, and your info helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having a great time. I hiked to Register Cliff and Cassidy Arch. Love this area, it's so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So does this mean you're close to the WINs, but not with them? Diana says it's smokey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I'm in Colorado now, visiting my daughter. I flew through Utah this trip. Will catch up with the WINs in the Denver area, if not sooner.

      Delete
  4. Wow, eating twice at Cafe Diablo? Did you win the lottery???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, I WOULD have hit the lottery by now if I ever bought a ticket, I'm sure, but no lottery winnings. I just didn't eat the rest of the week...

      Delete