Monday, January 2, 2012

Slabs

I've been debating whether to blog about the Slabs or not. I was only there a couple days with the WINs, so I didn't see a lot of the place. Also, there are a number of blogs out there that have documented the Slabs quite well.

One from Barbara's blog:  Slabs

A few from Diana's: Trash Art  Salvation Mountain  A little more

I did take a picture of Salvation Mountain which is probably the most famous part of the Slabs.


The creator of Salvation Mountain, Leonard Knight, is no longer in residence. He was taken to a hospital around the time of my visit and from there to a nursing home and not expected to return. I haven't any more detail than that. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet him.

I did meet the pastor of the local church. He spoke to a group of us WINs one day in the church.


We took up a collection and bought some groceries to be distributed by the church to some of the local residents. The full-time residents are in fairly dire straits.


You can click on any picture to get a bigger, more detailed version.


I was there the night of the full moon eclipse. I took this picture from the roof of my rig:

4 comments:

  1. I've read about the slabs but never been there. I think I would probably be depressed seeing all the folks that have so little. But perhaps they are happier than some who supposedly have so much. It's all about what it takes to make one content I suppose. Too bad about Leonard Knight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've seen it, and now you know what it's like. I understand that there are some really interesting people that live there. You have to give them credit for making the best out of what they have to work with. Most of them just want to be left alone to live their lives their own way. Sounds like a lot of people we've run into in our RV travels, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sorry to hesar about Leonard. I stopped by to see if when I was there last year but he was resting in his truck.

    Quite a place indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great pictures ~ keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete