Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Canyonlands

Another quick trip through a national park. I really, REALLY liked Canyonlands. I visited the north section only, Islands in the Sky. My first impression was that this is the Grand Canyon on steroids!


Not the greatest day for taking pictures. The sky was hazy due to smoke from Arizona fires. 


Still, the landscape was breathtaking.


I was particularly impressed with the lack of barriers on the paths along the rim in places. It was a very windy day so I kept a good distance from the edge. Not everyone was as cautious and I heard, "Get away from the edge right now!" on a few occasions.


I camped at one of the BLM campgrounds nearby. It was hot during the day and took the rig a little while to cool off after the sun went down, so I climbed up on the roof and enjoyed a gentle breeze while staring up at the most phenomenal night sky I'd ever seen. I love the desert and have enjoyed the night sky there many times. Here, in addition to there being little light in the area from cities and towns, due to the elevation, the sky is that much more clear and the Milky Way was brilliant from horizon to horizon. It was magnificent! Never occurred to me to take a picture though. Maybe next time.

4 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed the pictures Nancy. I have yet to travel into Utah but it is high on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep trying to comment but it seems impossible, but I'll try one more time . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it worked! Great pictures, isn't that are the very best? Where are you now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim, glad you enjoyed the pictures. Southern Utah is my new favorite place. You're going to love it.

    Kate, I'm in Colorado now. Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete