Saturday, May 28, 2011

Hiking in Orange County, CA

I've been doing a lot of hiking here lately. A favorite place is Peter's Canyon where I hiked earlier this week. I didn't take my camera, but I had my phone and took the following two pictures with it:



Today, the hike was at the James Dilley Preserve in Laguna Canyon. Within a few minutes of starting, we ran into this fellow:

I have a rule that all snakes I see on the trail are rattlesnakes and I give them a wide berth. I couldn't see the end of the snake - it was in the brush - so don't know if it had a rattle or not. There are signs at the trail head warning that there are rattlesnakes in the area. Anyone out there know what kind of snake this is? You can click on any picture to get a larger image.

There are only 3 natural lakes in Orange County and they're all here. This is a picture of Barbara's Lake. The other two lakes are named Lake 1 and Lake 2. Being in Laguna Canyon, home to a zillion art galleries, the signs here are pretty artsy.


I've also hiked at Irvine Regional Park, Santiago Oaks and another part of Laguna Canyon recently, but I don't have any good pictures to share of those. There are plenty of good places to walk and hike in this area and I plan to check out many more of them.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, those lake-namer people in Orange County have quite an imagination...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, they're all rattlesnakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me, he looks too colorful to be a rattlesnake, but I wouldn't bet on my knowledge.

    ReplyDelete